Print Header
Rainbow Chrysler Dodge Jeep RamBogue Chitto RiverACT Work Ready Gold BadgeDeer Slideshow PhotoCoca-Cola
Downloadable Maps

Historical Sites


With a rich Native American history, along with the history of a fledgling United States, there is no place better than the Scenic Rivers area to get a taste of the early American cultural experience.  Tied to the history of the mighty Mississippi, Scenic Rivers has long been a witness to the beginnings of early American History.  Visitors are welcome to come explore one of the many historical sites that help make up its rich past, or venture out on a fact-finding mission of their own and see what long buried stories from the past they are bound to unearth.

The southwest Mississippi region has a long history dating back to its earliest inhabitants, the Native Americans. For centuries, several Indian tribes including the Choctaws, Chickasaws, and The Natchez roamed, hunted, and lived on the land that now makes up Southwest Mississippi.  With its rich bounty of wildlife and fertile soil deposits from the many rivers and streams that run through the area on their way to the Mississippi River, the land was an ideal spot to call home. After the Spanish surrender of the Louisiana territory to the United States, men of all grades, professions, and pursuits, flocked to the lower Mississippi area and began establishing churches, schools, and villages.

The early 19th-century settlers from Europe and America’s east coast began harvesting the areas softwoods and hardwoods in order to provide material for building homes, furniture, farm implements, and tools. These earlier settlers also began milling the millions of acres of forests in order to develop farmland.

As commerce on the rivers thrived with the growth of the timber industry, so did the need to export timber products to areas outside of the river communities. Thus in the 19th century, the first railroads were built in Mississippi, allowing for greater commerce and the export of finished goods outside Mississippi.  With the addition of the railroad, many new towns and cities sprang forth in the area and owe their existence to the expansion of the railroad.

Much of this history can be seen today, not only in guidebooks and historical markers, but through the many local attractions that offer visitors a glimpse into the past.

Pike County

Brentwood House
601 Delaware Ave
McComb, MS 39648

Kramertown-Railroad Historic District
S. Railroad Boulevard
McComb, MS 39648

William Fredrick Holmes House
302 3rd Street
McComb, MS 39648

Vaughn (Berryhill) House
265 West Railroad Ave
Magnolia, MS 39652
Description:  Built by William Atkinson in 1877, then sold to David Vaughn and wife.  The Vaughn’s were one of our first plantation families of Magnolia.  David’s wife was of the Prewitt (founding) family.

Stonewall Club
105 North Cherry Street
Magnolia, MS 39652
Description:  Popular social club at turn of century, now a private home.

George Chadwick House
560 North Cherry Street
Magnolia, MS 39652
Description:  local historian and talented artist that featured many of our great homes

Holmes-Mitchell House
405 North Cherry Street
Magnolia, MS 39652
Description: Built in 1900 by sawmill operator and Captain W.W. Stephens.  Wendall Holmes and his father were both circuit clerks for Pike County.  Best example in Magnolia of one story-high elevation house.

Click Here for more information on Pike County MS Genealogy and Historical Network.

Amite County

Confederate Monument
155 North Church Street
Liberty, MS 39645
Located next door to the historic Liberty Presbyterian Church, this monument has inscribed, “ SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF THE SOLDIERS FROM AMITE COUNTY WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE CONFEDERATE ARMY,  ERECTED BY THE CITIZENS OF AMITE COUNTY IN 1871.

Amite County War Memorial Monument
Courthouse Square, 242 W. Main Street
Liberty, MS 39645
This monument was dedicated on Veterans Day, November 11, 1995, “IN HONOR OF THE COURAGE, PATRIOTISM , AND SACRIFICES OF AMITE COUNTY VETERANS.”

Amite County Courthouse
242 W. Main Street
Liberty, MS 39645
Period of significance: 1925-1949, 1825-1849

Little Red Schoolhouse
MS Hwy 569 N
Liberty, MS 39645
Built in 1853, this 2 story brick building once served as the music room for the Amite Female Seminary and was the only school building spared by a Union raid during the war Between the States. It is the headquarters for the Amite County Historical & Genealogical Society.

Click Here for more information on Amite County Historical and Genealogical Society.

Walthall County

China Grove Methodist Church
MS Hwy 585, Tylertown
Date Listed: July 5, 1984

George H. Collins House
615 Union Rd, Tylertown
Date Listed: March 16,1992

New Orleans and Great Northern Railroad Depot
Franklin Highway, Tylertown
Date Listed: April 14, 2000

Walthall County Courthouse and Jail
200 Ball Ave, Tylertown
Date Listed: November 10, 1994

Walthall County Training School
Ginntown Community, Tylertown
The Walthall County Training School had its beginning in the 1870s when Isaac Ginn began to teach the local African American children to read and write in a small, one-room, split-log cabin style structure. Using Rosenwald Foundation funds this structure was built in 1920. This school closed in the late 1950s.

Joseph May Historical Cemetary
This cemetery is on land originally homesteaded before 1820 by Joseph May, Sr., who was a Revolutionary War soldier that is buried here. He was the great-grandfather of Joe Badon, who later owned the land through inheritance. The cemetery was totally abandoned for over 100 years and is now being restored through efforts spearheaded by the Judith Robinson Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
North from Tylertown square on Highway 27 to 2nd paved road to the right after passing Mannings Crossing. Turn right on the paved road.Go across the creek to the 1st house on the right, which is/was Mr Leroy Sauls' home. The cemetery is on his property.

Click Here for more information on Walthall CountyMS Genealogy and History Network.

Franklin County

Charles Walton Beam House
Jct. of Bogue Chitto- Meadville Rd and Upper Meadville- Summit Rd., 7 mi S of McCall Creek
Period: 1850-1874

Clear Springs Recreational Area
Area of Clear Springs, Roxie
Period: 1925-1949

Eddiceton Bridge 
Spans Homochitto River on CR, Eddiceton
Period: 1900-1924

Franklin County Courthouse
Courthouse Square, Meadville
Period: 1900-1924

Lucien Bridge
Over McCall Creek, on Stewart Rd at Lucien, McCall Creek
Period: 1925-1949

Arbuthnot's Grocery and House Museum
Come and visit the Arbuthnot's Grocery Museum and learn about the life and service of Willie and Estelle Arbuthnot. In the year of 1955, this dynamic duo built and operated a neighborhood grocery store during the days of segregation. The store was the lifeline of the community and the only gas station west of the town of Woodville, Mississippi. As a result of their service to the community, Arbuthnot's Grocery and House was entered on The National Register of Historic Places on May 20, 2016.

Click Here for more information on Franklin County MS Genealogy and Historical Network.

Wilkinson County

Anderson Mound
Address Restricted, Woodville
Period: 499-0 AD

Branch Banking House
Also known as Woodville Library
Bank St., Woodville
Period: 1825-1849, 1800-1824

Centreville Historic District
Roughly bounded by Cherokee, Laurel and St. Mary Sts., Centreville
Period: 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1899, 1850-1874

Desert Plantation
E of Pinkneyville- Woodville Rd, Woodville
Period: 1825-1849, 1800-1824

Forest Home Plantation
Also known as Shamrock Plantation
SW of Centreville, Centreville
Period: 1850-1874, 1825-1849

Fort Adams Site
S of Fort Adams , Fort Adams 
Period: 1850-1874, 1800-1824, 1750-1799 

Hampton Hall
MS 61 , Woodville 
Period: 1825-1849, 1800-1824 

Holly Grove
MS 33, 4 mi. S of MS 24 , Centreville
Period: 1825-1849, 1800-1824 

Office and Banking House of West Feliciana Railroad
Depot St. , Woodville 
Period: 1850-1874, 1825-1849

Pleasant Hill
Also known as Midway
E of Woodville on MS 24 , Woodville 
Period: 1825-1849

Also known as Poplar Grove
E of Woodville on MS 24 , Woodville 
Period: 1800-1824

Salisbury Plantation
Also known as Salisbury-Shepherd House
Off Woodville Rd. , Woodville 
Period: 1800-1824

Smith Creek Site
Also known as 22-Wk-511
Address Restricted , Fort Adams 
Period: 1499-1000 AD, 1000-500 AD

Tansy Island Hunting Club Camp Site and Clubhouse
Tansy Island Rd., off of Dolosoro Loop , Woodville 
Period: 1925-1949, 1900-1924 

Woodville Historic District  
Also known as See Also:Office and Banking House of West Feliciana Railroad
Roughly bounded by Prentiss, 2nd, College, Siglo, and Water Sts. , Woodville 
Period: 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1899, 1850-1874, 1825-1849, 1800-1824

Woodville Historic District (Boundary Increase II)
Roughly along Depot, First West, Main, Second South, Sligo, Third South, and Water Sts. , Woodville 
Woodville Historic District (Boundary Increase III)
Roughly bounded by Old Prentiss Hwy., US 61 and City Limits , Woodville 
Period: 1950-1974, 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1899, 1850-1874, 1825-1849, 1800-1824 

Click Here for more information on Wilkinson County MS Genealogy and Historical Network.





Rainbow Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram

SUPER SAVINGS!!!    Free Oil Change for 2 Years and 15% Off  Parts and Labor  …
read more

Site Map